Monday, June 5, 2017

Equipment isn't everything (Equipment vs Experience)




Every Photographer has their own style. My style is very different from the other Photographers you will see out there today. However!!! Equipment is NOT experience.

I recently was a guest at a wedding (not a photographer - although what kind of photographer would I be if I didn't get a few photos) and I was studying the photographer the Bride and Groom hired. Now I am VERY close to the Bride and Groom to the point that I actually took their engagement photos but did not want to photograph their wedding because I wanted to be a guest.

I am a firm believer all photographers, especially Wedding Photographers can learn things from another photographer. This is why we should study one another and how we work. So there I sit, Studying.

~~~~~~~~
Now before continuing this is NOT to insult this photographer in any form of way. Like I said in the beginning. Every Photographer has their own style. My style is very different from others. As well as my equipment. If this Photographer does one day end up reading this blog - think of this as CC (Constructional Criticism)
~~~~~~~~

*continuing* So here I am with 10+ years experience in photography 1/2 of which is in Wedding Photography.  This Photographer has a Canon 5D Mark III! Which in today's market is about a $2,000 camera if you buy it used, body only. It is a camera that has all the bells and whistles. Pretty much does everything for you. You could create flawless photos by just putting the camera on AUTO.

When the Bride and Groom received this as their first dance photo. They were not happy at all.



Now why? Why was the Bride and Groom NOT happy with this Beautiful Photograph?
.
.
.
Answer:
1. It's blurry
2. The angle is wrong (even the Bride saw this)
3. The Bride and Groom got 10 of pretty much the exact same shot in the exact same spot. The Photographer did not move, at all.

       and why am I not happy with it?

                   Because there was no Post Production on ANY of the Couples Photos

*Post Production*
"It is a term for all stages of production occurring after shooting" ~ wikipedia

AFTER!!!

Sooo, After this happened the Bride approached me asking me if I had taken any photos during the ceremony & reception.

Now it is my turn to tell you the equipment I use. I use a Rebel T3i. You want to know the market value of this camera: $450 - Seriously! That is what I use. My assistant (second shooter) uses a Rebel T2i , which is even sold at a lower price.

Now why in all of the smurfs would I share this secret with ANY of my potential customers reading this blog???  3 simple, and important reasons:

1) Equipment isn't everything
2) Experience IS Everything
3) I add value to my brand (not business - BRAND)

Now this is my photo. I took this from my seat in the audience. This is the exact same dance from the one above.





I am not going to lie to you readers - I am GREAT at what I do. You can take that how you wish. Being conceded. Boasting about my abilities. You're right. I am. #3. I bring Value to my Brand. I LOVE what i do. This is my LIFE. This is my BRAND. and No one will tell me that Equipment will triumph over experience.







Adele L.
emcphotograpystudio@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/emcphotographystudio
www.emcphotographystudio.com

No comments:

Post a Comment